Be prepared to work remotely by following this checklist. This is a list of technology resources that can be used to enable work from off-campus. Contact your LFC for help and more information.
- Get a computer: Bring your University-provided laptop home or use your own.
- Consider getting a headset and webcam (if needed) to meet remotely with your team. IT recommends the Logitech C920S HD Pro Webcam and Logitech USB Headset H390 should you want to purchase either. This is optional as Augsburg laptops have built-in webcams and microphones. Having a headset makes it easier for others to hear you talk.
- Decide if you need to use Augsburg’s Remote Desktop (RDP) to access special software not on your laptop.
- If you have a University-provided desktop computer and have specialized software not listed below contact your LFC.
|Requires RDP||Does not require RDP|
|Anything on a website
– Google Calendar
– Google Drive
Microsoft Applications you have installed
Using Remote Desktop (RDP)
Follow this guide to setting up your connection to the Remote Desktop Server.
Start Your Remote Workday
- Sit down at your workspace and start your computer.
- Connect to your home WiFi. IT suggests that all home WiFi networks be password protected.
- Start your web browser (Chrome suggested) and login to Inside Augsburg and then your Gmail, Calendar, and Drive.
- If you use Google Hangouts (useful for communicating with your team) consider setting the status to indicate your location (i.e. “working from home”).
- If you need any of the specialized applications listed above, connect to the RDP server.
Stay connected with your colleagues
- Direct message or group chat with Google Hangouts.
- Meet with colleagues remotely using Google Hangouts or Zoom.
- Store and share files
- Use RDP to access network drives.
- Use Google Drive to access shared documents and folders.