The Augsburg McNair Scholars Program has been awarded five additional years of funding through the US Department of Education’s Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program.
Grant funds totaling $1,161,310 ($232,262 per year) will be used to increase the number of doctoral degrees attained by Augsburg students from underrepresented backgrounds (low-income, first-generation, and/or underrepresented in graduate education) through high impact graduate school preparation activities.
The program will maintain a cohort of 26 Scholars each year. Scholars will complete an intensive 21 months of curriculum and activities designed to prepare for and achieve success in doctoral study. Project components include academic counseling; rigorous research and scholarly activities; graduate school preparation seminars and workshops; high quality summer research internships with mentor guidance; research presentation in at least one conference setting; internship opportunities; and individualized tutoring for academic excellence. Participants will also receive guidance in completing quality applications to graduate programs, finding financial assistance, and choosing programs that best fit their graduate aspirations.
The McNair Scholars Program is one of eight federal TRIO programs. The McNair Scholars Program was created by the U.S. Congress in honor of Dr. Ronald E. McNair, the astronaut and physicist who was among the first African Americans in the U.S. space program.
Editor’s Note: This project is funded, in part, by the U.S. Department of Education. Federal dollars support 75.5% ($1,161,310) of total project costs over the five year period; institutional dollars support the remaining 24.5% ($307,538).