2021-2022 Education Department Scholarships
Application deadline has passed: Monday, March 8, 2021
The Education Department of Augsburg University is pleased to announce that we are currently accepting applications for the following scholarships to be awarded for the upcoming 2021-2022 academic year.
Any student interested in any of these scholarships is invited to complete the online 21-22 scholarship application form. Applicants will need to provide: name, contact information (phone and email), undergrad or graduate status, GPA, declared or intended major, scholarships being applied for and a brief paragraph stating qualifications for each scholarship for which the student is applying.
Applicants are allowed to apply for any and all scholarships for which they qualify. If applying for more than one scholarship, please indicate your preference. The deadline for all applications is 4:30 pm on Monday, March 8, 2021.
- S. Luther and Carol B. Kleven Family Scholarship (1 scholarship of $1,025.00 for a junior or senior in Elementary Education.) Awarded annually to juniors and seniors majoring in elementary education, based upon academic achievement and financial need. Preference will be given to AU students. Established in 1990 by family and friends in memory of S. Luther Kleven ’50 and in honor of the Kleven family.
- Jim and Shelby Andress Education Scholarship (1 scholarship of $858.00 for a student in any class, but declared major preference.) Awarded annually to a student of any class who is majoring in Education. The award is based upon financial need and a demonstrated, genuine love of students and a passion for teaching. Established in 1997 by Shelby (Gimse) Andress ’56, Golden Valley, Minn., and gifts in memory of her late husband, Jim ’51, to encourage competent, caring and principled young people to enter the field of education.
- Dr. Einar O. Johnson Scholarship (1 scholarship of $829.00 for a returning student in Education.) Awarded annually to one or more students interested in a career in education based upon financial need and academic accomplishment. Established in 1999 by Mary E. Johnson, family, friends, and colleagues in loving memory of Dr. Einar O. Johnson. The scholarship is renewable.
- John L. and Joan H. Ohlin Scholarship (1 scholarship of $370.00 for a student in any class, but declared major preference.) Awarded annually to a student of any class who is majoring in Education, based upon suitable academic progress and financial need. Established in 1996 by Mrs. Joan H. Ohlin, Baxter, Minn., in loving memory of her late husband, John L. Ohlin ’57, and in tribute to his 38 years as a teacher.
- Elva B. Lovell Life Scholarship (1 scholarship of $837.00 for a student in any class, but declared major preference.) Awarded annually to education students of any class who plan to teach. Awards are based upon academic achievement and financial need, with preference given to students who are black, older, or single parents. Established in 1991 by Mrs. Elva B. Lovell, Minneapolis, Minn., as an expression of her belief in diversity and literacy.
- Heidi Huber Scholarship (1 scholarship of $1,910.00 for a student in Education.) The Heidi Huber Scholarship was established in 2004 in loving memory of Heidi through the generosity of the Curtis L. Carlson Family Foundation, family and friends. Heidi passed away on April 1, 2002 at the age of 33, after a courageous battle with malignant melanoma. The Heidi Huber Scholarship is awarded to one or more students with demonstrated financial need, strong academic achievement, and dedication to the community. Preference will be given to students interested in a career in education.
- David Mathre Scholarship (1 scholarship of $327.00 for a student entering the year containing their student teaching semester.) Education Awarded annually to qualified full-time student(s) in need of financial assistance during the term in which they are student teaching.
- Pederson Samuelson Scholarship (1 scholarship of $540.00 for an upper class student.) Awarded annually, the Pederson Samuelson Scholarship is to provide financial assistance to an upper-class student of Scandinavian extraction who is majoring in Education, Nursing, Sociology, Social Work, or Youth/Campus/Family Ministry. The award is based upon maintaining a GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Debra Boss Montgomery Scholarship (2-4 scholarships totaling $14,980.00 for juniors or seniors in Elementary Education.) Awarded annually to junior or senior students majoring in elementary education, based on academic achievement and financial need. Preference will be given to those who have special interest in children’s literature and who see their work in education as a Christian vocation. Established in 1991 by gifts from family and friends in memory of Debra Boss Montgomery, a 1975 graduate of Augsburg University.
- Welckle Endowed Scholarship (1-2 scholarships totaling $3,089 for all Education Majors) Awarded to students from underrepresented populations who have demonstrated financial need and academic achievement, and who are planning to become educators. It will be awarded to students irrespective of their class, program, or degree seeking status.
- Lingen Johnson Endowed Scholarship for Education (1 scholarship totaling $1934.00 for sophomores or juniors in Elementary Education). The purpose of the Fund shall be changed. It shall now support one or more second or third year students who demonstrate financial need and academic achievement and who are preparing for a career in elementary education and/or music therapy. Preference will be given to students with a grade point average of 3.0 or higher.