Moving to Google Apps for Education
After a series of brown bag sessions and a successful pilot with five departments, the IT Advisory Group has recommended that Augsburg should move to Google Apps for Education for email, calendaring, and network/file storage.
There are two main reasons to switch.
- To have everyone on the same communications platform – faculty, staff and students.
- We work with files everywhere, anywhere, anytime with other people.
What happens now?
- Workshops in May and June : click for dates and times.
- Students move between May 21 and July 8, 2013 : click for more details. This will affect your email so it is important to read.
- Faculty and Staff move on June 1-2 (best faculty time) or July 5-8, 2013 (best staff time) : click for more details. This will affect your email so it is important to read.
- To sign up for the early move let us know on this form by May 17.
- You don’t need to do anything to be included in the July move. July is the assumed time for everyone unless you sign up for the early move.
What was the decision process?
Spring- Summer 2012 – IT Advisory Group explored topic of outsourced email and calendar
Fall 2012 – IT Advisory Group recommended a move to Google, sought community input
December 2012 – January 2013 : Advisory Group hosted 7 brown bag sessions - Click for presentation slides
February 2013 : Pre-Pilot in IT
March – April 2013 : Pilot in Library, TRiO, Math, and Residence Life.
April 2013 : IT Advisory Group reviewed community input and pilot results, finalized recommendation to move.
Have some questions?
- We have an extensive Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
- You can also ask a question online and we’ll answer it.
Need help? Check out these online resources first.