His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Losar (Tibetan New Year)
When: 9 a.m., March 2, 2014
Where: Augsburg College Kennedy Center
The Tibetan American Foundation of Minnesota (TAFM) is hosting His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama in celebration of the Tibetan New Year (Losar) on the Augsburg College campus beginning at 9 a.m., Sunday, March 2. This ticketed event is open to members of the Tibetan community. Please visit http://2014dalailama.tafm.org/ for more information about this event.
- Augsburg Community:
- Because of the size of the celebration, access to parking and some buildings will be restricted for members of the Augsburg Community during the event. Information below explains how the event will impact parking, access to various buildings, and security-related issues.
- Visitors attending the Tibetan New Year Celebration:
- Visitors to Augsburg College for the visit by His Holiness to preside over the Tibetan New Year Celebration can find below and on this page information about the schedule of events, prohibited items, ticket information, parking, and more. To learn more about the Tibetan New Year and the Tibetan community in Minnesota, please visit the website of the Tibetan American Foundation of Minnesota.
Augsburg College Community Information
Si Melby/Kennedy Center Accessibility
- Access to all facilities located within Si Melby Hall and the Kennedy Center will be limited due to the security required for the visit of His Holiness the Dalai Lama.
- All facilities located within Si Melby Hall and the Kennedy Center, including Si Melby gymnasium, classrooms, the fitness center and weight room, and all locker rooms will be inaccessible to the Augsburg community from 6 a.m.-Noon. General building access will resume at Noon for most facilities.
- The gymnasium will remain closed until 6 p.m.
Air Dome and Ice Arenas
- Access to the dome and the ice arenas will be available for rental leagues. However, special entrance routes may be required for groups accessing those spaces. We encourage members of groups using those facilities to check with their coordinator for full details.
Attendees of the Tibetan New Year Celebration
- Parking is available in Lot L on a first-come, first-served basis. Additional parking is available (a fee will be charged) at the Fairview University Red Ramp or at either of the University of Minnesota public parking ramps.
- Street parking is available on a very limited basis in the area around Augsburg College. If using street parking, please be aware that those parking spots are regulated by the City of Minneapolis and all posted hourly limits and/or restrictions must be followed.
- Guest parking is NOT available in Augsburg lots A, B, D, F, or G.
- Tickets are required to attend the event. Those without tickets will not be permitted entrance.
- All guests will be required to go through stand-up metal detectors and/or further security screening prior to gaining access to the event space.
- Please arrive at least one hour in advance as security lines are anticipated to be long.
- Guests will not be allowed to bring the following items into the venue from 7 a.m.-noon:
- Purses, Backpacks, duffle bags or other bags of any size.
- Cell phones, Laptops, iPads, or computers of any kind.
- Weapons of any kind
- Any items that can be perceived as weapon
- Stroller or skateboards
- Recording devices of any kind (audio or video)
- Signs, banners, flags or flag poles
- Glass or metal containers
- Aerosol spray cans
- Beach balls
- Laser Pointers
- Wrenches/pliers/multi-tool devices
- Pets (except service animals)
- Chairs of any kind
- Food or alcohol
- We reserve the right to confiscate these and other prohibited items.
- If you exit the building, you will not be allowed to re-enter.
- 5-7:00 a.m.: Line up begins (Note: Covered, weather controlled lineup will take place in the Augsburg College air dome. Do not arrive prior to 5 a.m.)
- 7:00 a.m.: Doors open to ticketed guests
- 8:30 a.m.: Welcome
- 9 a.m.: Formal program begins
- 11 a.m.: Formal program ends
- 1-5 p.m.: Community celebration
- The Tibetan New Year (Losar) event is being held by the Tibetan American Foundation of Minnesota (TAFM). Tickets for the event are available through TAFM. Limited seating is available. Visit TAFM for ticket information.
- The Tibetan New Year (Losar) celebration will be conducted in Tibet. Translation services will not be provided.
Alternative Viewing Information
- If you are unable to attend the event, the entire program will be broadcast here on this page as well as being livestreamed at http://www.livestream.com/augsburgcollege beginning at 8:30 a.m. on Sunday, March 2.
- A limited number of volunteer opportunities may exist for members of the Augsburg community. If you’re interested in volunteering for this event, please contact Jodi Collen at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss potential opportunities.
Other Major Events:
- Advent Vespers
- Convocation Series
- StepUP Gala