The Augsburg College Education Department and the State of Minnesota Board of Teaching require preservice teachers to engage in pre-student teaching activities in urban K-12 schools. These experiences are an important part of preparing licensure students for the rigors of full-time K-12 teaching.
Field Experience Placement Procedures – Fall 2015
In order to receive credit for your field placement, you will need to register your field placement with the education department through Tk20.
Students may receive help in securing a quality field experience placement; all students must complete the Field Experience Placement Information Form to indicate what support is needed or to let us know where you plan to complete your field experience.
All students should read and sign the Augsburg College Field Experience Agreement to understand the expectations for securing a placement, connecting with the host teacher and beginning the placement, and professionalism.
We encourage students to consider a placement in one of our Partner Schools as we work on impacting P-12 education through enhanced collaboration; we also believe that the Augsburg student experience is enhanced at our partner schools.
Minneapolis Public Schools Placement Requirements
Minneapolis Public Schools (MPS) has a 3-step placement process:
- Online registration using the MPS Pre-Service Teaching website. You will need a resume and cover letter to complete the registration.
- Criminal background check once per school year. Once you have completed the online registration, instructions will be emailed to you for completion of an online criminal background check. Please submit a $7.00 processing fee to the Augsburg Education Department office; we will submit the fee to MPS on your behalf.
- Online orientation to the district.
All teacher candidates placed in MPS must complete the online registration.
Other Field Placement Forms
The following forms may be used in conjunction with these field experience and service-learning placements:
Field Experience Evaluation Forms:
- Core Subjects Field Experience Evaluation Form (for EDC 200/522, EDC 310/533, and EDC 410/544)
- Methods Courses Field Experience Evaluation Form (for all Methods courses)
- Special Education Field Experience Evaluation Form (for Special Education courses)
- Physical Education Field Experience Evaluation Form (for Physical Education courses)
Service-Learning and Field Experience Theoretical Framework
The use of field experience and service-learning in the Augsburg College teacher licensure program is based on a pedagogical model of knowledge and skill development developed at the college in the 1990’s. Selected courses requiring field experience will follow the Augsburg service-learning model. This model has been used by many colleges and universities around North America. Click here to read more about Augsburg’s S-L Integration Model. A web site with definitions, examples, forms, and resources is also available. It is called: Service-Learning: A Pre-Service Teacher’s Guide.
At several points within the licensure program, each student’s field experience is assessed and documented. This documentation becomes part of the licensure student’s file in the Education Department and are required for licensure.