The Augsburg University Education Department and the State of Minnesota Board of Teaching require preservice teachers to engage in pre-student teaching activities in urban K-12 schools. These experiences are an important part of preparing licensure students for the rigors of full-time K-12 teaching.
Click this image to view a larger version.
Field Experience Placement Procedures
In order to receive credit for your field placement, you will need to register your field placement with the education department through Tk20.
- How to Open a New TK20 Account
- Registering Your Field Experience in Tk20
- Screencast: How to Register your Field Placement in Tk20 (Coming Soon)
Students that need help in securing a quality field experience placement must complete the Placement Request and Agreement Form.
Students that have obtained a field experience placement must complete the Secured Placement and Agreement Form.
We encourage students to consider a placement in one of our Partner Schools as we work on impacting P-12 education through enhanced collaboration; we also believe that the Augsburg student experience is enhanced at our partner schools.
Minneapolis Public Schools Placement Requirements
Minneapolis Public Schools (MPS) has a 3-step placement process:
- Online registration using the MPS Pre-Service Teaching website. You will need a resume and cover letter to complete the registration.
- Criminal background check once per school year. Once you have completed the online registration, instructions will be emailed to you for completion of an online criminal background check. Please submit a $7.00 processing fee to the Augsburg Education Department office; we will submit the fee to MPS on your behalf.
- Online orientation to the district.
All teacher candidates placed in MPS must complete the online registration.
Other Field Placement Forms
The following forms may be used in conjunction with these field experience and service-learning placements:
- Field Experience Log
- Core Courses Field Experience Evaluation- Review Only
- Methods Courses Field Experience Evaluation- Review Only
Field Experience Specialist Contact Information:
Ann Marie Yacobucci, Field Experience Specialist
Direct # 612-330-1675
General # 612-330-1130
Fax # 612-330-1339
Office: Sverdrup Hall, Room 3A
Campus Box 312
2221 Riverside Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55454
Service-Learning and Field Experience Theoretical Framework
The use of field experience and service-learning in the Augsburg University teacher licensure program is based on a pedagogical model of knowledge and skill development developed at the university in the 1990’s. Selected courses requiring field experience will follow the Augsburg service-learning model. This model has been used by many colleges and universities around North America. Click here to read more about Augsburg’s S-L Integration Model. A web site with definitions, examples, forms, and resources is also available. It is called: Service-Learning: A Pre-Service Teacher’s Guide.
At several points within the licensure program, each student’s field experience is assessed and documented. This documentation becomes part of the licensure student’s file in the Education Department and are required for licensure.