The Augsburg College Education Department and the State of Minnesota Board of Teaching require preservice teachers to engage in pre-student teaching activities in urban K-12 schools. These experiences are an important part of preparing licensure students for the rigors of full-time K-12 teaching.
The use of service-learning in the Augsburg College teacher licensure program is based on a pedagogical model of knowledge and skill development developed at the college in the 1990′s. Selected courses requiring field experience will follow the Augsburg service-learning model. This model has been used by many colleges and universities around North America. Click here to read more about Augsburg’s S-L Integration Model. A web site with definitions, examples, forms, and resources is also available. It is called: Service-Learning: A Pre-Service Teacher’s Guide.
At several points within the licensure program, each student’s field experience is assessed and documented. This documentation becomes part of the licensure student’s file in the Education Department and are required for licensure. The following forms may be used in conjunction with these field experience and service-learning placements:
- Field Experience Log
- Field Experience Site Registration
- Student Field Experience Handbook
- Faculty Field Experience Development Handbook
- Partner School Sites
- Minn. Dept. of Education Data for Parents and Educators Website
- Criminal Background Check and Release Form – MPS
Field Experience Evaluation Forms:
- Core Subjects Field Experience Evaluation Form (for EDC 200/522, EDC310/533, and EDC 410/544)
- Methods Courses Field Experience Evaluation Form (for all Methods courses)
- Special Education Field Experience Evaluation Form (for Special Education courses)
- Physical Education Field Experience Evaluation Form (for Physical Education courses)