■ AVID Tutors Needed at Roseville: The Roseville School District is looking for two tutors at Roseville Area High School that could work from 8:00 am-12:00 pm. The pay is $14 an hour. Go to: <http://www.isd623.org/>. You can apply online.
■ MAE students interested in degree completion (finishing your masters), please plan on attending the group advising session led by Dr. Vicki Olson, director, MAE Program. We’ll convene in OGC 100 on Saturday, Oct. 3, 2015 from 12:10pm-12:50pm. You’re welcome to bring your lunch with you as this is the lunch hour. An RSVP is appreciated, please let Caren Custer know if you’ll attend: <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
■ MPS Research, Evaluation, and Assessment (REA) department is looking for volunteers to assist with administering our beginning kindergarten assessments during the month of September.
- Who: Pre-Service Teachers
- What: Administer online reading and math assessments to kindergarten students. You would be responsible for supervising and supporting kindergarten students as they complete online reading and math assessments. The assessments take approximately 45 minutes to complete and you would work with 3 kindergarten students at a time. Training will be provided.
- When: They need help Mondays-Fridays all day, from August 31-September 25. The schedule is flexible, though an ideal volunteer will be free for a 2-3 hour shift.
- Where: All elementary schools in Minneapolis Public Schools
How to sign up: Please fill out our interest form at: <http://volmps.mpls.k12.mn.us/> with your contact information and schedule availability. You will be contacted directly regarding specific volunteer opportunities.
■ Volunteer English Language Learner Reading Buddy at Learning for Leadership k-12 Charter School: Learning for Leadership Charter School, 3300 5th St NE # 150, Minneapolis, MN 55418, is seeking volunteer ELL reading tutors. Volunteers need to complete a background check, be able to spend at least one hour per week for a full semester, and attend a mandatory orientation and tutor training (usually 20-30 minutes in length) before volunteer work begins. For more information, contact:: Patricia Hampton <email@example.com> or 612-735-8698.
■ Behavioral Dimensions, a private company based out of St. Louis Park, Minnesota, provides services to children with autism and other disabilities. Behavioral Dimensions is hiring for positions throughout the Twin Cities metro, Duluth, & Iron Range. Part time and full time positions are available.For more information, contact Jay O’Neill (Owner & Director of Specialty Services) at 612-889-0278 or by email at <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
■ The Augsburg Education Department has arranged for MTLE practice tests through Feb. 2016. The costs of these practice tests can be paid through financial aid. Please see department chair Margaret Finders for more information about how to access the practice tests.
Also below are the MN BOT testing requirements. Students must receive passing scores on the ACT+Writing, the SATs or the MTLEs.
Admission to licensure program steps can be found at the following link: <http://inside.augsburg.edu/edstudents/admission/>.
■ Advising and Admissions Up-Dates:
■ ACT+Writing and SAT Scores in Place of MTLE—Beginning January 1, 2015, The Minn. Board of Teaching (BOT) will accept passing ACT Plus Writing and SAT scores to meet the requirement for a skills exam in reading, writing and math. The BOT has adopted the following passing scores for these exams:
- ACT Plus Writing: Composite Score ≥ 22 and Combined English/Writing ≥ 21
- SAT Reading ≥ 510 and Writing ≥ 510 and Mathematics ≥ 520
Advising—Day students in their final two years at Augsburg may enroll in AU courses if it is the only way that they can graduate in a timely manner. Registration forms must be signed by Vicki Olson or Peg Finders.
Students in SPE and ESL may switch from Day to AU to finish SPE or ESL licenses. Day students who need to switch to AU to finish out their SPE or ESL licenses can maintain campus housing.
If you have concerns or questions about the financial impact of this type of change please contact a Student Financial Services counselor immediately about the financial impact of the change. Students can schedule appointments online via the Advising link in Records and Registration, at the service window, or by phone or email.
■ Education Department Office is Also Open Certain Non-Business Hours:
• Tuesday and Thursday until 6 p.m. every week.
Turn things in; pick things up; leave messages or materials for faculty; check your department file – we are here for you.
Submitting news to Augsburg:
- To the Education Department News: Send your news to Joseph Erickson at C.B. 312 or erickson-AT-augsburg.edu.
- To the Augsburg Now published by the Augsburg College Office of Public Relations and Communication: Send your news to C.B. 145 or email@example.com.
- To the daily A-Mail electronic newsletter: Go to AugNet Home Page and login. Then click on “Submit News and Announcements” link.
Connecting with Alumni and Friends:
Augsburg College provides several ways to stay connected with Alumni and friends. Here are some links to get you started:
- Alumni Information Update: Submit news and contact information changes to the college’s Alumni Office.
- TC2 New Teachers’ Blog
Other Sources of News for K-12 Teachers:
Here are links to some of the very best online news sources for K-12 teachers:
- Education Week
- Teacher Magazine
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (also, subscribe to ASCD SmartBrief, a daily email news resource delivered right to your inbox).