Graduate Students

Designed as a reference for students in the Graduate Programs in Education.

Dr. Jason Lukasik, Graduate Programs in Education Director

Caren Custer, Program Coordinator, Graduate Programs in Education

Pre-First Term Preparation

Activate your AugNet account

Watch helpful videos to help orientate you to functions of your AugNet account, such topics as:

Activate AugNet | Class Location & Time | Emergency Notifications | Find Assigned Books | Find My Adviser | Find My Grades | Finding Moodle | Holds on Account | Parking Permit | Track Financial Aid | Tuition Statement

Licensure Informational Sheets

Informational sheets are meant to be a reference for graduate students pursuing initial licensure with the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT), or additional licensure with the Master of Arts in Education (MAE).

Graduate Licensure Informational Sheets reference

Pre-Approved Course Substitutions

Graduate students may take pre-approved courses at local community colleges in order to reduce the time to completion and/or cost to completion of licensure. Use the linked Google sheets document to identify pre-approved courses, by licensure concentration.

This Google sheets document has been created specifically for graduate students seeking licensure. These are pre-approved course substitutions since graduate students don’t require the transfer of credits. Undergraduate students should NOT use this as a reference and instead should consult with Academic Advising or their Education Department advisor.

Graduate Program Approved Substitutions reference

Licensure Exams

ELEM, ESL, SPED: Take both sets of exams (Content and Pedagogy) after licensure courses complete, but before student teaching.

Secondary: Take the Content exams as soon possible after completing required content courses. Take the Pedagogy exams after completion of the education-specific licensure courses, but before student teaching.

Remember: These exams are completely the responsibility of licensure candidate. They are completed outside of Augsburg classroom time. It is important to budget for exam fees. Google “MTLE” to find the Minnesota Teacher Licensure Examinations webpage.

Find your required Content and Pedagogy exams: Licensure Exams Reference

Student Teaching

PLEASE NOTE: all teacher candidates must apply to student teach in the term prior to when they will actually be in the classroom (early fall term for teaching in spring; early spring term when teaching the following fall). Learn more about the expectations of student teaching.

Degree Completion

Students wishing to complete the master’s degree should contact the Program Coordinator. Contact information at top of this webpage.

Graduation & Commencement

It’s important to not conflate graduation and commencement.

Graduation. An MAE student is considered to have graduated upon successful completion of all degree requirements.



+ Degree Completion Courses + Degree Completion Coursework Requirements* = GRADUATED

MAE students are not required to ‘apply’ to graduate. Once requirements are met the program director will submit a formal letter to the Registrar’s Office requesting posting of degree to transcript.

  • Performance Assessment: After successful completion of EDC 594

NOTE: Students earn a license to teach a specific subject and or specific grades (e.g. K-6 Elementary); whereas, the degree itself is the same for all students regardless of license the Master of Arts in Education.

Commencement. Refers to the ceremony itself, officiated by the president of Augsburg. You the student will dress in a robe, hood, and cap, and family and friends in attendance will take a multitude of photos. And then there should be cake, lots of cake!

Learn more about the upcoming Commencement program

Graduation vs. Commencement Guide