■ Apply for an EAST Scholarship: The Augsburg University EAST African Student to Teacher (EAST) Scholarship Program will be accepting applications for the Spring 2019-2021 cohort! This scholarship was established to recognize highly qualified students who wish to become K-12 teachers and increase the diversity of the teacher workforce in Minnesota. EAST covers full tuition cost toward a first license to East African descent students.*
To learn more about the EAST Scholarship application process, the admission process to Augsburg University and our teacher licensure preparation program, you must attend one of the following information sessions. Registration ahead of time is required. Attached is the East brochure to learn more about the East scholarship.
Information Sessions: Augsburg Campus (click on link to schedule)
- Tuesday, November 20th, 2018 at 05:30 P.M.-7:00 P.M.
- Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 05:30 P.M.-7:00 P.M.
Information Sessions: Rochester Campus
*Contingent on CUE funding from the Minnesota Legislature for 2019-2021 cycle.
For more information, contact: Hana Salad, Email: <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Phone: 612-330-1345.
■ Mock Interviewing–Sign Up Now: Improve your interviewing skills in a pressure-free environment by attending a practice interview night co-hosted by Strommen Career & Internship Services, Alumni-Parent Relations Office, and the Young Alumni Council. Hear insights from recent Auggie grads on how to answer some of the most commonly asked interview questions, as well as other tips and tricks to help you stand out and land your next role!
INSTRUCTIONS ON REGISTERING:
- After reading the steps below, click on the REGISTRATION LINK (*you must register using the link below)
- Click on the highlighted Mock Interview Schedule
- Click on the APPLY Button (right sign of screen)
- Follow the prompts on the screen. All students are eligible to sign up for a mock interview.
- Find a time in the schedule that works for you. Right side of schedule TAKE SLOT
- Now you are done: When you receive the confirmation email, it will ask you to pick a time slot. Ignore that email, as you already took a slot.
Mock Interview Date: Thursday, November 8th, Time: Sign up for a 20 minute session anytime between 5:30-7:30 pm, Location: Strommen Career & Internship Center, Suite 100, Christensen Center. For questions, please contact us at 612-330-1148 or <email@example.com>.
■ Start Planning Now for European Study Abroad Trip in May 2019! Study Education and Psychology in Slovenia, May 2019: Examine the roots of both educational and psychological practices that shaped European culture in beautiful Ljubljana, Slovenia. As part of this May 2019 travel program, you will also experience Roman ruins in Croatia and the canals of Venice, Italy.
This travel seminar has been the most popular Augsburg summer short-term travel seminar each time it has been offered, with maximum enrollment achieved each trip, so start planning now to make sure you can join us!
For more information, visit: <http://bit.ly/Slo2019>. To apply, go to <http://studyabroad.augsburg.edu/?go=PsychAndEduSlovenia>.
More information about the trip may be obtained by contacting professors Joseph Erickson <firstname.lastname@example.org> or Stacy Freiheit at <email@example.com>.
■ AmeriCorps Promise Fellows Program: Looking for a great short term opportunity to kick-start your career in education? The AmeriCorps Promise Fellows program will provide you with full-time experience working in a school environment alongside dynamic educators and school administrators. The AmeriCorps Promise Fellow program brings caring adults into schools and organizations serving students 6-12th grade. Service members will provide one-on-one intervention support to students, both inside and outside of the classroom, to promote school engagement and encourage students to stay on track through high school graduation. APPLY TODAY!
■ Progressive Educators Conference planned for November 5th: Prairie Creek Community School is hosting a conference of progressive educators called the Imagine Conference on November 5th. You may obtain more information by contacting Nancy Dennis at <firstname.lastname@example.org>. Here is link where you can get more information and register: <http://prairiecreek.typepad.com/imagine/>
■ College Nannies, Sitters and Tutors in the West Metro is currently hiring part-time math, science, and test prep tutors to work in Edina, Maple Grove, Excelsior and Wayzata areas. For more information, contact Erin Black at phone: 952-285-7667 or email: <email@example.com>.
■ University of Northern Iowa (UNI) Overseas Teaching Services and Recruiting Fair: The 2019 UNI Overseas Teaching Services and Recruiting Fair is scheduled for February 1st – February 2nd, 2019 in Waterloo, IA. This Fair is for teachers looking to teach abroad for the 2019-2020 school year. Questions? Go to: <http://TeachOverseas.uni.edu>.
Submitting news to Augsburg:
- To the Education Department News: Send your news to Joseph Erickson at C.B. 312 or erickson-AT-augsburg.edu.
- To the Augsburg Now published by the Augsburg University Office of Public Relations and Communication: Send your news to C.B. 145 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To the daily A-Mail electronic newsletter: Go to AugNet Home Page and login. Then click on “Submit News and Announcements” link.
Connecting with Alumni and Friends:
Augsburg University provides several ways to stay connected with alumni and friends. Here are some links to get you started:
- Alumni Information Update: Submit news and contact information changes to the university’s Alumni Office.
- TC2 New Teachers’ Blog
Other Sources of News for K-12 Teachers:
Here are links to some of the very best online news sources for K-12 teachers:
- Education Week
- Teacher Magazine
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (also, subscribe to ASCD SmartBrief, a daily email news resource delivered right to your inbox).