■ Student teaching in Spring 2019: Students who are eligible to student teach in the spring of 2019 are required to attend ONE Information Session to learn the application process. The second of these sessions is scheduled for Saturday, September 22, 12:00-2: 00 pm in the Marshall Room
This meeting is for all programs: Elementary, Secondary, and K-12, ESL, Special Education ABS. Being eligible means that all coursework will be completed by the end of Fall 2018. Please contact Barbara West if you have a school or work conflict for both of those dates <email@example.com>.
■ Education Majors Can Study Abroad: The Global Educators Semester at Augsburg’s study center in Cuernavaca, Mexico is designed specifically to replace a regular on-campus spring semester for education majors. Study abroad is affordable, life-changing, and gives you academic and professional skills to succeed after graduation! All Auggies get an automatic $1500 Travel Grant for the Global Educators Semester, you can use all of your financial aid for the program and there are additional scholarships available, too.
Global Educators Semester courses include:
- Required Courses
- EDC 310: Learning and Development in an Educational Setting
- EDC 353: International Education
- EDC 299: Global Education Practicum
- Additional Course Options
- EDC 200: Orientation to Education
- EDC 210: Diversity in Schools
- BIO 118: Environmental Biology with Lab
- Spanish: 18 course options
- WEL 119: Latin Dance
Why wait? Next steps for planning:
Talk to Ann Marie Yacobucci in the Education Department
Attend an Info Session in the Study Abroad office in Christensen Center lower level. Apply by November 1. Get more info and apply online at <http://studyabroad.augsburg.edu>. Email us anytime: <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
Finally, join us for a Mexico Programs Reception with Ann Lutterman-Aguilar, Site Director for CGEE Mexico, on Monday, September 24th from 3:30 – 4:30 pm in OGC 100. Any Education students interested in the program are welcome to drop by! Light refreshments will be served, and your questions about Mexico will be answered!
■ Start Planning Now for European Study Abroad Trip in May 2019! Study Education and Psychology in Slovenia, May 2019: Examine the roots of both educational and psychological practices that shaped European culture in beautiful Ljubljana, Slovenia. As part of this May 2019 travel program, you will also experience Roman ruins in Croatia and the canals of Venice, Italy.
This travel seminar has been the most popular Augsburg summer short-term travel seminar each time it has been offered, with maximum enrollment achieved each trip, so start planning now to make sure you can join us!
For more information, visit: <http://bit.ly/Slo2019>. To apply, go to <http://studyabroad.augsburg.edu/?go=PsychAndEduSlovenia>.
More information about the trip may be obtained by contacting professors Joseph Erickson <email@example.com> or Stacy Freiheit at <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
■ Loan Forgiveness for New Teachers: Please be aware of loan forgiveness for eligible Augsburg teachers. go to: <http://www.ohe.state.mn.us/mPg.cfm?pageID=2191> for more information.
■ Augsburg Sesquicentennial Project: Sonja Thompson <email@example.com> has been commissioned to work on a new Music-Theater piece to help us celebrate the Augsburg Sesquicentennial. The piece will be created and developed by and for Augsburg Community members throughout the 18-19 academic year, and featured as part of the Homecoming festivities in October 2019. Participants from the entire Augsburg community are invited to join this effort. For more information, please contact: Sonja Thompson, 612-330-1277.
Submitting news to Augsburg
- To the Education Department News: Send your news to Joseph Erickson at C.B. 312 or erickson-AT-augsburg.edu.
- To the Augsburg Now published by the Augsburg University Office of Public Relations and Communication: Send your news to C.B. 145 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To the daily A-Mail electronic newsletter: Go to AugNet Home Page and login. Then click on “Submit News and Announcements” link.
Connecting with Alumni and Friends:
Augsburg University provides several ways to stay connected with alumni and friends. Here are some links to get you started:
- Alumni Information Update: Submit news and contact information changes to the university’s Alumni Office.
- TC2 New Teachers’ Blog
Other Sources of News for K-12 Teachers:
Here are links to some of the very best online news sources for K-12 teachers:
- Education Week
- Teacher Magazine
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (also, subscribe to ASCD SmartBrief, a daily email news resource delivered right to your inbox).